Sunday, October 24, 2010

Fall evening and late shift dilemma

Thursday we had the perfect fall night. Crock pot filled the house with the delicious aroma of a big juicy pot roast, we carved pumpkins, and then I cooked pumpkin seeds for us to eat while we had a family movie night!



This week I was scheduled to be the PM shift at the hospital for clinicals. The shift goes from 3 pm - 11:30 pm. I don't like it for a multitude of reasons and now I will share those reasons with you:

  • The obvious: you get home at midnight.

  • You might have no exams for 2 hours and then 20 minutes before it's time to leave the ER will explode with things like a gun shot wound to the hand. I can't be just be like, "oh I know this women was beaten unconscious with a baseball bat and it would be a really good study for me to observe but I have a test tomorrow on quality management so I want to go get some sleep."

  • I'm always scheduled the week we have tests! Clinicals are Monday, Wednesday, Friday and then class is Tuesdays/Thursdays. So the morning after I work at night is class/annoying test day.

  • On my way to my car in pitch-darkness: I have to find Omar the security guard to walk me to my car, have 911 already punched into my phone ready to be alerted, or be talking to Zach on the phone if he's still up.

Good things about the late shift
  • At 8 o'clock, eat all the food vendors leave to seduce departments to buy their products.

  • My husband surprises me with these for when I get home

No comments: