Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hi Dad

And on Debbie's 3rd birthday she recieved the best present of all... MY DAD!! Not just any old baby doll, a real-life little brother!

So today my dad turns 47! We took him out to a very tasty dinner last night to celebrate and then we sang him "Happy Birthday" and graciously helped him eat his cake. He is seriously the best dad a kid could ask for. He is caring, and thoughtful, and generous, and selfless, and has an endless amount of love for family. Zach is so happy and grateful to have him as his father-in-law and respects him soooooo much. Steve enjoys golfing, fishing, watching the Packers and Cubs, going to Starbucks, eating nutterbutters and my girlscout thin mints, reading books, going to Church, looking fine and smelling good (maybe it might creep some of my coworkers out when I say they smell like my dad? really it's a compliment so be happy.) Other interesting facts... he's a member of the Cherrybombs- John Cougar Melancamp's fan club (duh.) And I am VERY proud to announce that he is the one who taught me to dip my oreos in milk with a fork. I love this, and is one of my all-time favorite snacks. He taught Drew and I to like Pepsi instead of Coke and would let us stay up "way late at night" to watch "Cops" and "Married With Children." Two of the classiest shows in television history. He is a fantastic and patient grandpa, all Reagan has to hear is "swings" and he'll run to the door looking for Papa. I inherited my laid-back and dry personality from him. In labor with Reagan the nurse surpringly said "I've never seen some one so calm in this situation"... thank you father :)

Wow, I could go on forever but I'm going to stop myself becacuse I asked my dad a few questions about himself to spotlight him on this wonderous occasion.

How old are you? I'm not--I'm young!

Describe what you are wearing- Gray slacks, bright orange Illini golf shirt, black accessories

What is your favorite dessert? It's a tie--7 layer bars and French Silk Pie

What did you want to be when you grew up? Never really knew fo rsure but the closest I can come would be one of two things: a professional golfer or a garbage man--we had a garbage man named Emil Wooldridge & he always gave me a Bun candy bar, and let me sit in the truck a few times & I thought that was cool! (Not even sure they still make Bun candy bars!)

Tell us three truths and one lie about yourself (but don't say which one is the lie)-
1) I've been para-sailing
2) I've held a sting-ray in my arms and had him eat calamari right out of my hands
3) I once won an air guitar contest
4) I own the Minnesota State record for largemouth bass

Name a goal you want to reach by your next birthday- Get back into playing golf--alot of golf!!

Can you touch your toes? Yes...if I bend at the knees

What has been your best birthday present you've received as an adult? Tie---a diamond ring from the best wife in the world & a portrait of Wrigley Field just received this year from the best son in the world (okay--I cheated--the portrait was actually for Fathers Day and the ring may have been for my anniversary)

What is one piece of advice you would leave with your children? Try your best to always count your blessings and Be Happy---be kind to yourself and don't get sidetracked by what you believe others may think or expect of you. If you aren't happy, don't be afraid to go try something else--


(Dad and a baby pterodactyl)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Dad!!!!! WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!

Wow, I am an expert scanner-er.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Ash, you continue to amaze me as far as beomg such an awesome young lady. you have so much to balance in your life right now and you make it all appear effortless. I have had so many tell me how amazed they are at how well written and sweet your posts are. I couldn't be more proud of the mother, daughter, granddaughter & niece that you have matured into--and that is not to say that I haven't always been proud of the daughter you've been--I've always known of your priority and love of family deep inside of you. I love you more than you could ever know, Daddy