Saturday, February 20, 2010

Adventures in cooking.

Zach was gone the begining of this week on a bball trip so Reagan I were roughing it on our own. I always struggle with what to cook on those kind of days since I know between just the two of us, there will be a ton of leftovers. I am usually better about making from-scratch-ish breakfasts on the weekends which works out well because then I freeze all pancakes/waffles/muffins and then grab a few each morning to defrost for us. I didn't do that last weekend so I decided on the ol' classic: "breakfast for dinner" meal. I tried a recipe from my go-to cookbook which is the Better Homes & Gardens newlywed one, and found the best, most delicious, most fluffy,pancakes ever. This recipe is what has been missing from your lives.


2 c flour
1/4 c sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 c milk
1 c sour cream
1/3 c butter
1 c blueberries

-----------------

I've never made hamburgers patties before (always just buy them) but I was curious to see if there is a big difference between them. Well. THERE IS. Recipe also from same cookbook, I decided to get all fancy and do stuffed ones too. AH-mazing. Party in your mouth. So filling though that Zach just ate one and I could only eat half. I tweaked it a little by addng chopped peppers into the stuffing, lawry's salt, hot sauce and provolone instead of mozarella cheese into the meat mixture (in regards to the cheese mix up: first time thats ever happened/ever will happen since you'd assume we think cheddar and mozzarella are the only cheeses that have ever existed. oh and the mexican mix one.)

pre-stuff
post-stuff

George was busting his trash to grill these up...
I like how you can make them so much thicker than the dinky frozen ones. Obviously this takes a lot more time to prepare but I could very well do these and... my answer to everything... freeze them! Also, what I like about this book is that there are step by step instructions next to the things that you might have trouble assembling. De-boning chicken, setting a table, cutting sugar cookies, hollowing out potatoes for twice baked potatoes, etc. So there you go, me expanding my knowledge as a wife and mother right before your very eyes. (I'm well aware this post wasn't very interesting, I'll try to make up for it later in the week.)

2 comments:

SAM said...

Cracked me up about "George'" being put to the test!

Can't wait to see you guys! xoxo, Mom

Shain & Katie said...

Hello! I couldn't help but notice you played a little hookie in class today. Well, to our surprise you made it on facebook around class-time =) Sneaky. Blame Casey and her addiction as well!

See you Wednesday!