Thursday, February 7, 2008

A little less than 1 year ago today...

This is what I put in Reagan's scrapbook-

The weather had been freezing since the weekend before so Monday night, February 5th, we decided that Zach would come home just in case and go with me to my doctor’s appointment Tuesday morning the 6th where we could beg and plead with Dr. Weaver to induce me for numerous reasons besides me just being super uncomfortable (mostly because of Zach’s upcoming baseball schedule). Tuesday morning, February 6th, we went to my appointment where we felt like we didn’t get very many answers, we weren’t told if I was dilated or effaced, it was very quick because she was very tired from the night before. Weaver had no control of the scheduling of inducements but she wanted to do one soon (we were due Thursday the 8th). The hospital only had Friday morning at 2 am so we took it and left disappointed.

We went back home and Zach decided to stay for the rest of the day because of all the snow we had. We decided that we would do everything we could to put me into labor naturally. I literally walked on our treadmill for 1 ½ hour intervals resting in between for food and water breaks. By the end of the day I was feeling nothing so we decided to take a break, sit down, eat and relax. Of course I ordered hot wings and onion rings thinking perhaps the combo of grease and spicy would put something into motion.

Sure enough by 8:00 pm I was feeling a little something. We decided to clean the room and hang up some pictures just to keep me on my feet. By about 10:00 I couldn’t really walk through the contraction so we decided to get my bag together, still in denial though that we could go to the hospital some time soon. By 11:30 I told Zach we needed to leave NOW, we of course take the wrong turn to the hospital we went to that same day and always go to (I think the driver was a little nervous). We get there right before midnight but Zach convinces me not to go in until after midnight so we don’t have to pay for an extra day!

Apparently the 7th was the day to have babies in Bloomington/Normal because there were no rooms available. We sat in basically a community labor room with 4 other people who were all being monitored. They couldn’t check to see how far my contractions were progressing because I was in an awkward little chair. I think they could tell how uncomfortable I was getting because we were the first ones to get a delivery room. At that point I was only at 3 cm but in a lot of pain so she suggested that they try a medicine called Nubain; it was very odd. I felt like my eye lids had weights hanging on them and I am pretty sure I asked Zach if my face was on fire. Anyway it did relieve a lot of pain and gave me time to rest but it was causing Reagan to be very complacent and my blood pressure to sky rocket so the nurses would have me change sides and then eventually use an oxygen mask. The doctor suggested they go ahead and give me my epidural (which I jumped with…twice! because for some odd reason it tickled me) so that they could start the pitocin.

It didn’t take long before I was knocked out; luckily I was able to sleep for a few hours. Around 10:00 am I was at 7 cm. Dr. Weaver came in a little later and I was at a complete 10 cm. already. The nurse had me practice pushing which eventually turned into real pushing. Weaver came in quickly after and 2 contractions later at 11:14 am February 7th….

Reagan Andrew Williams

…was born!!!! Reagan was 6 lbs 11 oz and 19 inches long. A beautiful brown haired, brown eyed little boy. From the nose down Reagan looked like his mommy and from the eyes up he was the spitting image of his daddy. He had a great welcoming party waiting for him in the hospital when he was born. People came from far and wide and at all hours of the night just to welcome baby Reagan with love!!!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Cute post, Ashley!! I still can't believe a whole year has gone by!
~Cheryl